Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Breakfast for Dinner

One of my favorite memories from childhood is whenever Dad was left in charge of dinner.
That meant one thing.... Breakfast for dinner.

Nothing is better than having breakfast for dinner. I don't know why. But, it's just.... better.

So, as I struggled tonight to come up with something different and tasty for dinner, I remembered seeing a crustless quiche earlier that looked pretty good... and decided to go for it.

And it was good!


This is actually my first time eating sausage in months. I love sausage, but it's just easier to find sugar-free bacon. Not so much with the sausage, unfortunately. So, I was excited tonight to come across a package of sausage that's actually locally produced and didn't have sugar listed in the ingredients... Yay! So, got it home, anxious to brown some up for my quiche and wasn't 'til then that I noticed that it said 'glucose' instead of sugar.... Rookie mistake... Boo. 

Oh, well. I'll be all the wiser next time around. And I figure I'm still on enough meds to buy me that much grace. So, went ahead and made my quiche.


Browned up the pound of sausage while dicing up some leftover red, green and yellow bell peppers and onions I had stir-fried with some chicken last week. Removed the sausage from the pan and threw the peppers and onions into the grease. Browned those up really good, then tossed it all together with 8 or 9 eggs. Threw in some shredded Swiss and Cheddar for good measure. Poured the mixture into a Pyrex, topped with a little more cheese and baked at 375 for about 30-40 minutes. Drained off some of the excess grease that had gathered on top and plated some up with some fresh fruit!

Delicious!


And I even 'enhanced' my Welch's original grape juice with some fresh-squeezed orange juice as an added bonus.  :)

Very tasty! And I didn't miss the crust (or even the heavy cream) at all!

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to make, yum!! Tishcia Boring

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps) umm this is weird I have no idea why my middle name is the heading of my post instead of my first..oh well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! That's too funny. I was wondering...
      Secret identity maybe? :)

      Delete
  3. Oh sneaky, glucose! We had to watch out for corn for a while, and glucose is usually made from corn, and everything else is made from corn, too! We had to be super sly for a while.

    That quiche sure looks good! I want to try this if/when I have found a safe sausage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very hard to find a sausage that's legal.
      Still not sure how strictly I need to watch my corn? I know to steer clear from whole kernel corn, corn starch, corn syrup... but aside from that....? Not sure.

      Delete